Entrance to Major Testing
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires that Undergraduate students in all Instructional I teacher certification programs must successfully complete a Basic Skills Assessment.
- Childhood and Early Adolescent Education
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- World Language
- Art Education
The Basic Skills Assessment requirement can be fulfilled by completing the Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA), the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (CORE) exams or by using qualifying scores from SAT or ACT exams.
Basic Skills Assessment-Mixed Score Option. You may combine reading, writing and mathematics module scores from different test providers to meet the basic skills assessment requirements. You must meet the passing score listed for each module. A composite score is not available when scores are mixed. For more information on the Pennsylvania Department of Education testing please see . Once on the PDE testing page, select option 2 under "Testing Requirements."
The PAPA series includes three modules: Reading, Mathematics, and Writing. You may take one or all three modules at one test appointment. The PAPA series may be passed by achieving a qualifying score of 220 in Reading, 193 in Mathematics, 220 in Writing, or by the Composite Score Option.
The CORE series includes three modules: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. You may take one or all three modules at one test appointment. The CORE may be passed by achieving a 156 in Reading, a 162 in Writing and a 142 in Mathematics, or by the Composite Score Option. Once on the PDE testing page, select option 2 under "Testing Requirements."
SAT scores for Reading, Writing and Mathematics have a minimum score per section of 500 for each test with a combined minimum score of 1500. ACT minimum combined score of 23 on English/Writing-22, Math 21 prior to 09/01/15 or Reading 22; Writing 21; Mathematics 21 after 09/01/2015.
For students who are preparing to take the PAPA tests, review these helpful tips.
Students in Workforce Education must successfully complete the CORE tests. Please contact the Workforce Education program for passing score information.
- Vocational I must successfully complete the reading and writing exams
- Vocational II must successfully complete the reading, writing, and math exams
Elementary & Early Childhood Education
- PK-4— PECT
- English 4-8— PRAXIS
- Social Studies 4-8— PRAXIS
- Biology— PRAXIS Biology: Content Knowledge
- Chemistry— PRAXIS Chemistry: Content Knowledge
- Communication— PRAXIS: Speech Communication: Content Knowledge
- Earth/Space— PRAXIS Earth Science: Content Knowledge
- English— PRAXIS English Language Arts: Content Knowledge
- Environmental— PRAXIS: Environmental Education (PA)
- General Science— PRAXIS General Science: Content Knowledge
- Mathematics— PRAXIS Mathematics: Content Knowledge
- Physics— PRAXIS Physics: Content Knowledge
- Social Studies— PRAXIS Social Studies: Content Knowledge
- Special Education PK-8 and Special Education 7-12— ESP Special Education PreK – 8, Modules 1 & 2 and/or PECT Special Education 7 – 12, Modules 1 & 2
SPLED students must receive certification in another area in addition to Special Education.
- French— ACTFL French OPI & WPT and PRAXIS Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
- German— ACTFL German OPI & WPT and PRAXIS Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
- Latin— PRAXIS Latin and PRAXIS Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
- Russian— ACTFL Russian OPI & WPT and PRAXIS Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
- Spanish— ACTFL Spanish OPI & WPT and PRAXIS Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
WF ED students must pass their Occupational Competency Assessment before obtaining their certification.
Teacher Certification in Majors in Other Colleges
Agriculture — PRAXIS Agriculture, Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
Art Education — PRAXIS Art: Content Knowledge, Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
Kinesiology — PRAXIS Health & Physical Education: Content Knowledge, Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
Music — PRAXIS Music: Content Knowledge, Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
PRAXIS -- CORE
Title II Report (Higher Education Act--1998)
Penn State's Institutional Report to the Pennsylvania Department of Education: In compliance with Title II, Section 207 of the Higher Education Act of 1998 and General Standard for the Institutional Preparation of Professional Educators -- Chapter 354.