Resources from the diversity and community enhancement committee in the Penn State College of Education.
College of Education Links
- American Indian Leadership Program - The nation’s longest continuously operating educational leadership program for American Indians and Alaska Natives
- America Reads @ Penn State - Federal work/study program that calls for teachers to help children to read.
- Office of Multicultural Programs - Facilitates the development of an infrastructure and climate that promotes and values diversity and multiculturalism, infuses diversity across the curriculum and student experiences, facilitates access to post-secondary opportunities, supports the advancement of outstanding underrepresented educators and works towards the greater diversification of the education profession.
- Student Organizations - List of education-related student organizations.
- Student Scholarshi
ps - List of scholarships available in the College of Education.
- Resources for Teaching American Indian Content
- Academic Advancement Programs - Links to services provided by the Office of Educational Equity
- Affirmative Action Office - Penn State's Affirmative Action Office
- Africana Research Center - College of Liberal Arts Research Center
- Blends of Traditional Heritages (BOTH) - Discussion group for students of biracial backgrounds
- Center for Adult Learner Services - Resources for Adult learners
- Center for Ethics and Religious Affairs - Resources for Religious Affairs on campus
- Center for Women Students - Resources to Women at the university
- College Multicultural Programs - List of colleges' multicultural affairs programs and officers
- Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Equity - Advisory group addressing LGBTAQ issues
- Commission on Racial/Ethnic Diversity (CORED) - Commission dedicated to enhancing the University's climate for diversity
- Equal Opportunity Planning Committee - Office that distributes grants for diversity initiatives
- FastStart - Mentoring program for students from diverse backgrounds
- Framework to Foster Diversity at Penn State - Strategic plan for creating a more diverse campus
- International Student Services - Programs for international students and students studying abroad
- Office for Disability Services - Resources for students with disabilities
- Office of Educational Equity Publications - Recent publications from the university on diversity issues
- Office of Graduate Educational Equity - Diversity information for the Graduate School
- Office of the Vice Provost for Educational Equity - Homepage for the Office of Educational Equity
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally (LGBTA) Student Resource Center - LGBTA Resources
- Multicultural Resource Center - Office for counseling diverse undergraduate students.
- Pennsylvania Literacy Corps - Fosters partnerships between higher education institutions and providers of adult basic and literacy education
- Paul Robeson Cultural Center - Programs and services that encourage the appreciation of the diverse perspectives, experiences, and cultures of many under-represented communities.
- The Race Relations Project - Sociology project that confronts racial issues
- Report Bias at Penn State - Link to report bias, hate and discrimination.
- Student Minority Advisory and Recruitment Team (SMART) - Recruitment team for diverse undergraduates.
- Student Support Services Program - Provides a variety of services to enhance academic performance and ultimately increase the retention and graduation rates of low-income, first-generation college students
- Upward Bound - Federally funded program that helps high-school students gain academic skills and motivation to continue their education beyond high school.
Centre County Links
- Community Diversity Group - a non-profit coalition with representatives from the citizens of Centre County, businesses of Centre County, employees of Penn State, local governments, and local non-profit organizations. Our goal is to create a welcoming climate for all community members. The CDG offers training, consulting, and a quarterly-updated calendar of diversity events. The focus of the training, which can be provided onsite, is providing excellent customer service to diverse customers, and can be tailored to a specific business or industry. The 4-hour workshop is for every business owner, manager, and employee who wants to provide consistent, excellent service to each and every customer.
Disablity as Diversity Resources
- Disability Services in the University Libraries
- Special Education Research Guide- includes recommended databases, associations, reference sources, journals, websites, search strategies, and links to educational statistics.
- Education and Behavoiral Sciences Library
- Disability Studies Quarterly
- The Equity Alliance at ASU
- TEDxPSU - Michael Bérubé talk on Humans, Superheroes, Mutants, and People with Disabilities
- 2011 Disability Awareness Month Diversability Website
- GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network - The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. We believe that such an atmosphere engenders a positive sense of self, which is the basis of educational achievement and personal growth. Since homophobia and heterosexism undermine a healthy school climate, we work to educate teachers, students and the public at large about the damaging effects these forces have on youth and adults alike. We recognize that forces such as racism and sexism have similarly adverse impacts on communities and we support schools in seeking to redress all such inequities. Many resources for teachers and students available.
- GALE - GALE has various video and book resources (Fiction and Non-Fiction Titles) for K-12 and other populations. Visit the Resources page on their website for specific titles for purchase. Many are free and come in PDF format.
- PFLAG (Central PA) - We're parents, family members and friends of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and questioning (GLBTQ) people. We know how to educate a misinformed society about homosexuality because many of us were once misinformed ourselves. With more than 35 years experience of building bridges of understanding about GLBT people, PFLAG is the family voice of love, acceptance, celebration and justice for people of all sexual orientations.
- TransFamily - A support group for transgender and transsexual people, their parents and families.
- Gender Spectrum Education and Training - Provides education, resources and training to create a more gender sensitive and supportive environment for all children.
- TS Road Map - An on-line guide for people in the process of transitioning.
- Gender Education and Advocacy - Focuses on the needs and issues of gender variant people.
- National Center for Transgender Equality - Dedicated to advancing the equality of transgender people.