How to Apply
NOTE APPLICATION DEADLINE
Fall Admission: January 1
Students applying for admission to the Educational Theory and Policy program at Penn State must electronically upload all application materials to the Graduate School at Penn State. The Graduate School confirms eligibility for admission of all applicants. The Educational Theory and Policy program will select and recommend applicants for offers of admission.
Applying to the Graduate School
Complete the Admission Application to The Graduate School.
- If you are ready to proceed to the application but have NOT read the Graduate School requirements, please visit that website at http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/index.cfm/prospective-students/requirements/.
- If you have read the Graduate School and program requirements and are ready to apply, you may proceed to the application at http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/apply/.
As part of The Graduate School application, you will be asked to upload/supply the following documents/information:
- Three letters of recommendation: You will be asked to submit the name and email addresses of three referents that are best qualified to assess your ability to succeed in graduate school. The referents will be sent an email message directing them to the appropriate site to upload their letter of recommendation. You will be notified via email when a reference letter is submitted, but you will not be able to view the letter.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Statement of purpose (In approximately two single-spaced pages please explain why you are applying to EDTHP. In writing your statement, you might consider some of the following questions: What background experiences led to your decision to apply to our program and what is it about EDTHP that most interests you? What types of career goals or plans do you currently have?)
- Writing sample (For example, an honors paper, undergraduate course paper, Master's thesis, or a review of an article or report published in a recent professional journal which deals with a contemporary educational issue related to your academic interests)
- A copy of official transcripts/documents from all post-secondary institutions of higher education attended must be uploaded to your graduate application. International applicants must upload university records in the language of instruction (and copies of an official English translation if English is not the language of instruction).
- Official GRE score report (institution code for Penn State is 2660); and
- Official TOEFL score report, if required.
Applicants recommended for admission by EDTHP will be notified via the online graduate admission system. Once a student accepts a program recommendation for admission, the Graduate School will request official/original transcripts/documents that must be sent from the originating institutions in the official language of the institution(s) attended (and if the language of instruction is not English, an official English translation must also be sent). The Graduate School will review and confirm all official documents before finalizing the offer of admission.