Recent Publications & Presentations by ADTED Faculty and Students
- Adelina Hristova, a research initiation grant award for a new project titled Understanding the Impact of Groups on Performance and Retention in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), the Center for Online Innovations in Learning (COIL), 2014
- Allyson Krupar, Student Media Grants Program, Howard G. Buffett Foundation Chair on Conflict and Development at Texas A&M University, 2014
- Allyson Krupar, Systers Pass-it-on Grant, 2014
- Allyson Krupar, Anita Borg Institute Comparative International Education Department Summer Research Grant, PSU, 2014
- Colleen Shaughnessy. Roothbert Fund Fellowship, 2013.
- Dana Naughton. Africana Research Center Research Award Spring, 2013. “Learning Through Adoption: The Intercountry Adoption Experiences of Canadian and Dutch Adopters of Children from the United States”
- Esther Prins, Cathy Kassab, Brendaly Drayton, and Ramazan Gungor are the 2013 recipients of the Mildred B. and Charles A. Wedemeyer Award for Outstanding Scholar in Distance Education. Prins and colleagues’ article, “Distance learning for GED students in rural Pennsylvania” was published in 2012 in the American Journal of Distance Education. The Wedemeyer Award recognizes outstanding contributions to the field of distance education through research. Nominees are advanced by the editors of the American Journal of Distance Education after publication in the Journal. Cathy Kassab is an independent statistical consultant, and Brendaly Drayton and Ramazan Gungor were graduate research assistants on the project.
Diehl, W.C. & Shattuck, K. (2016). Michael Grahame Moore: Pioneer in distance education. In Palmercooper, J. (Editor). Routledge Encyclopaedia of Educational Thinkers. Oxford: Routledge.
- Diehl, W. C. (2016). Online instructor and teaching competencies: Literature review for Quality Matters. Annapolis: Quality Matters, MarylandOnline
- Diehl, W.C. & Shattuck, K. (in press). Michael Grahame Moore: Pioneer in distance education. In Palmercooper, J. (Editor). Encyclopedia of Educational Thinkers. Oxford: Routledge.
- Diehl, W.C. (2013). mLearning as a sub-field of open and distance education. In Berge, Z. & Muilenburg, L. (Editors). Handbook of mLearning. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. (Awarded the “2014 Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) Division of Distance Learning (DDL) Distance Education Book Award”
- Diehl, W.C. (2012). Charles A. Wedemeyer and the early theorists. In Moore, M. G. (Ed.) Handbook of Distance Education, Third Edition. (Chapter 2). New York: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Naughton, D., Adelman, A., Miller-Day, M., Gabbay, R., & Bricker, P. (2013). Envisioning new roles for medical assistants: Strategies from patient-centered medical homes. Family Practice Management. March/April 2013, 8-12.
- Shattuck, K. (2013). (Ed.). Quality Assurance in Online Distance Education: Improving Practice at the Program, Teaching and Resource Levels. Manuscript in preparation.
- Shattuck, K. (2013). Faculty participation in online distance education. In M. G. Moore (Ed.). Handbook of Distance Education (3rd edition, pp. 390-402). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Prins, E., & Mooney, A. (in press). Literacy and health disparities. In J. C. Collins, L. O. Bryant, & T. S. Rocco (Eds.), Health and wellness concerns for racial, ethnic, and sexual minorities. New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, No. 142. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Tschakert, P., Dietrich, K., Tamminga, K, Prins, E., Shaffer, J., Liwenga, E., & Asiedu, A. (in press). Learning and envisioning under climatic uncertainty: An African experience. Environment and Planning A.
- Prins, E. (2013). Participatory photography: A tool for empowerment or surveillance? In G. Thomas (Ed.), Case study methods in education (Vol. 3, pp. 426-443). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. (reprint of 2010 article in Action Research)
- Mooney, A., & Prins, E. (2013, May). Addressing the health literacy needs of adult education students. Practitioner’s Guide #4. University Park, PA: Goodling Institute for Research in Family Literacy. http://www.ed.psu.edu/educ/goodling-institute/professional-development/pracitioner-guide-4/view
- Wright, R. R. & Wright G. L. (2013). Investigating sci-fi and horror for critical adult education and teacher education: Learning international perspectives and valuing the “other”. International Journal of Innovative Learning and Leadership, 1(1), 6-12. retrieved February 14, 2014, from http://www.icill.net/ijill-1-1.pdf
- Wright, R.R. (2013). The Avengers and feminist identity development: Learning the example of critical resistance from Cathy Gale. In K.M. Ryan and D. Massey (Eds.), Television and the self: Knowledge, identity and media representation (pp. 189-204). New York: Lexington-Rowan & Littlefield.
- Diehl, W.C. & Moore, M.G. (2016). Roundtable Discussion Panelist, Historical Research in Distance Education, Research SIG, Distance Learning and Teaching Conference, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Diehl, W.C. & Moore, M.G. (2016). Featured Speakers Spotlight Session, Applying the Wedemeyer Legacy Today, Distance Learning and Teaching Conference, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Park, H. & Kim, J. (2014, June). Identity formation among North Korean defectors in South Korea: Implications for a socio-cultural learning theoretical lens. Paper presented at the 55th Annual Adult Education Research Conference (AERC), Harrisburg, PA.
- Kim. J., Park, H., Kwon, I. T., & Yu, P. S. (2014, June). Critical revies of Credit Bank System in South Korea: A new mediator for lifelong learning? Paper presented at the 55th Annual Adult Education Research Conference (AERC), Harrisburg, PA.
- Krupar, A. (2014). Moral literacy and social justice: Implications in praxis. Moral Literacy Colloquium, Rock Ethics Institute, Pennsylvania State University.
- Krupar, A. (2014). Participatory Pedagogy in Discourse of Practice: Applying Freire in Training for Transformation. CSLEE 19th Annual Values and Leadership Conference, Huntington, Ontario, Canada.
- Thompson, M. M., & Wang, J. (2014, June). The ethics of unlocking a billion more brains. Paper presented at the 55th Annual Adult Education Research Conference (AERC), Harrisburg, PA.
- Covert, M., Feldman, M., & Stark, M. (2013, November). Online learning from the student's perspective: Three successful online students share their knowledge. Presentation at The 19th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning, Orlando, FL.
- Krupar, A & J. Levitan. “Moral literacy and social justice: Implications in praxis.” 2014 Moral Literacy Colloquium, Rock Ethics Institute, Pennsylvania State University, Upcoming April 2014.
- Krupar, A. “Rethinking post-conflict adult education policy in South Sudan and Afghanistan.” CIES, Toronto, March 2014.
- Krupar, A. “Incorporating digital media in mass communications curriculum in Afghanistan: Classroom action research towards lessons for resource-constrained and conflict-affected environments.” CIES @ UMASS Amherst, November 2013.
- Hristova, A. (2013, March). Different literacies and gender: Cross-national comparison of girls’ digital literacy to their traditional literacy and to the boys’ different literacies. Paper presented at the 57th Annual Conference of the Comparative & International Education Society, New Orleans, LA.
- Naughton, D. (2013, March). The transracial education of Canadian and Dutch Adopters of minority children from the United States. Paper presented at the 57th Annual Conference of the Comparative and International Education Society (CIES), New Orleans, LA.
- Ye, X. (2013, March). In school and Out-of-school literacy practices: A comparative study of generation X and generation Y in America and China. Paper presented at the 57th Annual Conference of the Comparative & International Education Society, New Orleans, LA.
- *Chang, J., & Kim, J. (2013, February). The effects of work-related learning and organizational investment on organizational commitment: A multilevel analysis. Presentation at the 20th Annual Academy of Human Resource Development (AHRD) International Research Conference, Arlington, VA. *ADTED visiting scholar
- Frey, S. & Shaughnessy, C. (2013). Countering the Heroic Narrative: Prisoners, Human Dignity, and the Adult Classroom. Presented at Voices of Resistance: Communication and Social Justice Conference, University Park, PA.
- Shattuck, K. (2012, November). Online presence. Presentation at the 2nd Annual World Campus Faculty Convocation, University Park, PA.
- Shattuck, K., & Wang, l. (2012, October). Course design strategies to help ensure that learning is accessible to culturally diverse online learners. Presentation at the 4th Annual Quality Matters Conference, Tucson, AZ.
- Adair, D., Hilke, J., & Shattuck, K. (2012, October). Listening to the faculty voice: Online teaching tasks and competencies. Presentation at the 4th Annual Quality Matters Conference, Tucson, AZ.
- Shattuck, K. (2012, October). Quality in online and blended education, In D. Spicer, & K. Swan (Co-Chairs), Sloan-C Consortium on Quality. Virtual presentation made to the 18th Annual Sloan Consortium, Lake Buena Vista, FL.
- Shattuck, K. The International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL) Quality Project: Performance Indicators and Policy workgroup, August 20-21, 2012, Minneapolis, MN.