S.C.O.P.E. - Summer College Opportunity Program in Education
Please Note: Application for S.C.O.P.E. 2017 is now available!
S.C.O.P.E. is a four week academic intensive program for high school sophomores from multicultural backgrounds interested in careers in teaching, counseling, special education, rehabilitation, or educational administration. During the four-week program students will:
- Live on Penn State's main campus in University Park
- Take college courses
- Prepare for the SAT
- Learn time management and other study skills
S.C.O.P.E. underlines Penn State’s College of Education commitment toward the reduction of inter-group disparities and our efforts to satisfy the nation’s need for a diversified pool of education professionals and is committed to implementing appropriate outreach and early intervention practices. S.C.O.P.E. aims to promote and increase the recruitment, participation and success rates of underrepresented students in higher education and more specifically in the Education field.
The summer experience is organized around five main goals:
- Increase academic skills
- Enhance social skills for a successful college experience
- Validate participants’ sense of themselves as college-bound learners
- Familiarized participants with higher education institutions and admissions/financial aid processes
- Develop participants’ knowledge of education careers
Be a member of underrepresented groups in Education professions
- Be rising high school juniors
- Be enrolled in a college-prep curriculum
- Have a high school grade-point-average of 3.0 or better
- Be interested in Education careers
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Preference is given to first generation and economically disadvantaged candidates.
For Counselors, Teachers, and School Administrators
Are you a high school counselor or F.E.A. Adviser?
Would you like information and application regarding S.C.O.P.E. sent to your school or organization? Email us for more information.