Many initiatives strive to meet a student's direct individual needs, but Project TEAM goes further to create a culture where students are looking to help meet the needs of all members on the TEAM in addition to their own needs. Project TEAM focuses on six foundations that build on one another to show the value of specific skills in working together with others. Helping Others, Positive Change, Anti-Bullying, Problem Solving & Conflict Resolution, Resiliency, & Leadership are all necessary and powerful skills to attain individually, but when you put them together they can create a power house or in Project TEAM's case…the Project TEAM House!
A visual of a colorful house is used to build the foundations one upon the other to send a message of the importance for students to not only use these life skills as students currently, but in their futures beyond school as well. Six characters are used to help connect students to the program. These multicultural characters are known as the PT Gang, and teach students about the importance of the foundations along with career exploration. These characters teach and reinforce the programs within the materials used by teachers and counselors.Project: TEAM becomes a culture within a school setting. This umbrella allows for a common language to be used for other areas such as Community Outreach, Higher Education involvement, and Parent Education. The curriculum used to teach students about the program is adapted so that it can be used in these other areas as well:
- Whole School Programming- Common Language, PT Tools, Posters, PT Houses, Banners, Boards
- Classroom Programming- PT Curriculum, Integration into all other academic areas
- Counselor Resources- Individual behavior plans, individual PT strategies, small group (Student TEAMS), and classroom lessons
- Community Outreach- Bringing the community together through PT events and other efforts to make connections for students (examples include- Mini THONS, organized fitness events to raise money for a cause, Family Movie Nights, etc.
- Career Education- Project: TEAM connects all six foundations to careers and allows for career exploration starting in Kindergarten
- PT Gang- The PT Gang- Harper, Paco, Amelia, Philo, Ruby, and Lamar provide an opportunity for students to connect to the program through this multicultural TEAM of kids
- Project: TEAM COLLEGE- Penn State Mont Alto has been piloting a Project: TEAM workshop series to enhance leadership skills at the college level
- Educational Model Alignment- RTI (Response to Intervention) Danielson Model (for teachers)
- Standards- Aligns with ASCA (American School Counselor Association), Literacy Standards, Career Standards, Interpersonal Standards