Interested in graduate study in science education? You've come to the right place. We offer the M.S.M.Ed., and Ph.D. degrees. Graduate students who have previously earned undergraduate degrees in science fields have the option to pursue teaching certification as part of any of these degrees. Students entering SCIED graduate degree options are admitted through the Department of Curriculum and Instruction graduate admissions process. Applications may be submitted at other times of the year, but graduate funding opportunities are likely to be more limited then.

A good place to learn more about the aspects of science education that interest us is our faculty profiles page. We also encourage prospective students to schedule a visit to campus. A typical visit will include meetings with faculty and other graduate students, and we have some funding to help qualified candidates with out-of-area travel.


M.Ed. with Certification Course Schedule and Requirements

M.Ed. students work to enhance their knowledge of teaching and learning science. The M.Ed. is appropriate for practicing professional educators seeking to expand their knowledge or for those seeking initial teacher certification, as the degree program may include teacher certification in a science field (biology, chemistry, Earth science, physics).

Ph.D. students are part of a research community dedicated to advancing knowledge in science education. Students are expected to work with their doctoral advising committee to create a course of study leading to a contribution to knowledge through a doctoral dissertation. Students engage in research with faculty in a variety of areas in science and engineering education. Current research areas include astronomy education, uses of representational technology in geosciences, science assessment, teacher professional development, elementary engineering education, epistemic cognition, equity issues in STEM education, motivation and science learning outcomes, science teachers’ professional pedagogical vision, professional learning communities, and uses of video analysis to support teacher professional development. The faculty encourage interdisciplinary research for doctoral study. Ph.D. students have completed academic minors in fields such as applied linguistics, psychology, policy studies, and educational psychology. Assistantships are available.


PhD in science education emphasis in Curriculum & Instruction

Certification Options

We offer teacher education options for undergraduates majoring in Secondary Education (SECED) or scientific subjects. Certification requirements can also be completed while pursuing a master's degree in Curriculum & Instruction or in a scientific field. If you are an undergraduate majoring in a science subject, you can even begin your studies as an undergraduate and complete them as part of a master's program.

The following certification requirements are common to all routes to certification -- undergrad and graduate options alike.

Notes for students majoring in science fields or pursuing studies at the graduate level

If you plan to complete an undergraduate degree before taking SCIED 412 and C I 495C (these courses are taken concurrently; SCIED 411 is a prerequisite), your admission to the certification program will be done through the Curriculum & Instruction graduate admissions process. You will not need to go through the College of Education's Entrance to Major process, and you may have greater flexibility for completing certification requirements.

If you intend to complete the certification requirements as an undergraduate science major, you must be formally admitted to the SCIED certification program prior to taking SCIED 412 and CI 495C (again, please note that SCIED 411 is a prerequisite). You will not need to go through the College of Education's Entrance to Major, but you do need to be formally admitted (that is, submit a written Application for Admission to the SCIED Program, for Students Majoring in Science Disciplines) and receive a written acceptance. For more information, please consult an adviser in 228 Chambers Building.