Program Outcomes

The Rehabilitation Counseling emphasis area within Penn State University’s Counselor Education program is accredited by the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) through 2021. The Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health emphasis is accredited by both CORE and the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Professions (CACREP through October 31, 2023.

We admit a cohort of 8 to 10 rehabilitation graduate students per year who begin the program each fall semester. Typically, students complete the program in a two-year period. For the past three-years [2014-2016] our student retention rate has been 90%. During this period, 29 students enrolled in the rehabilitation emphasis area with 26 graduating.

The typical cost for tuition and fees are $41,824 (PA residents), $70,428 (non-resident), $72,428 (international). Penn State has received a Long-term Training Grant Award from the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) to support master’s level training of persons interested in working as state vocational rehabilitation counselors. Once accepted into the program, students can apply to become an RSA Scholar to help fund graduate school. This scholarship provides $22,500 for the first year of graduate school. Students can also apply for a paid internship with the PA Office of Vocational Rehabilitation in their last semester. These funds can significantly reduce the cost of pursuing our program while also providing entrance into the job market following completion of the internship.

Upon graduation 100% of graduates are employed within the first six months. Students work in a range of settings including state vocational rehabilitation (PA & VA), Bureau of Blindness and Visual Services, psychiatric rehabilitation settings, outpatient substance abuse services, private mental health clinics, group home for people with intellectual disability, forensic rehabilitation/ corrections, and doctoral studies. Graduates of our program are eligible to become licensed professional counselors in PA. The PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors accepts the CRC exam to become licensed as a Professional Counselor. Please visit the PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors site to learn more about state licensure requirements.

Rehabilitation Counseling Emphasis Coordinator: ., 302 CEDAR Building, University Park, PA 16802 (814) 863-6115