Continuity of Operations planning information for the College of Education: Click here

 

fc minutes 10-17-19

Faculty Council Meeting Minutes of October 17, 2019

Faculty Council Agenda & Meeting Minutes

October 17, 2019

228 Chambers Bldg

2:30-4:30pm

 

Attendees:  Dr.’s Fran Arbaugh, Richard Hazler, ChanMin Kim, Hyung Joon Yoon, Jacqui Reid-Walsh, Alex List, Soo-yong Byun, Barbara Schaefer, Marsha Modeste, Carla Zembal-Saul, Julia Bryan, Kimberly Lawless; and, Annie Maselli (GSC Rep) and Joe Clark (USC Rep)

The Chair called the meeting to order at 2:31 pm.

A quorum was reached to conduct official business.

1.     Minutes of the Preceding Meeting – September 19, 2019

1.1.  Motion made to approve, motion passed.  Minutes approved.

2.     Announcements by the Chair

2.1.  Reporting for future meetings

2.1.1.     Chair will send out an email out early next week to talk about how to make reports to the council to allow for more time to discuss forensic business.

3.     Communications to the Council

3.1.  Undergraduate Student Council Updates (Joey Clark)

3.1.1.     Donuts with the Deans, 9-11:00 on Oct. 21. Partnered with the Graduate School Student Council.

3.1.2.     Nov 5 Town Hall with the Deans

3.2.  Graduate Student Council Updates (Annie Maselli)

3.2.1.    Graduate Students received an email about positive academic discussions. When asked, some concerns and questions were raised.  “What was the intention of the email?” “What was the goal?”

3.2.1.1.   Dean Lawless: Think about it as an open dialogue. A reminder to all the types of respectful behavior that is expected within the College.  She, also mentioned that an “open college forum around issues of professional standards in the classroom and 1st amendment rights” will be forthcoming.

3.3.  Marsha Modeste, EPS

3.3.1.     The EPS department is working to develop a set of clear expectations for academic discourse among faculty, staff and students in response to recent events within the department.

3.3.2.     The EPS department has revamped its promotion and tenure guidelines. The new guidelines now provide more specificity to the process in the department, add transparency, and clarify expectations at each level of review.

4.     Comments by the Dean of the College

4.1.  Email communication from Rayne Sperling’s office sent on Monday:  This is the beginning of a dialogue.  There will be an open college forum surrounding issues of professional standards in the classroom and 1st amendment rights in the near future.

4.2.  AD77:  The final draft of the College level version of this is currently being worked on by Jerry Henry and Megan Houser.

4.3.  Active Recruitment Plan: New process for recruitment will require units to think about how they are going to reach the best candidates. Things to think about such as, where to post an ad, what networks would be best to utilize, individuals you can call to identify people for the pool, etc. We are moving away from the “post and hope” method. 

4.4.  P&T Charge to FC:  Looking for a trackable action. Things that go into promotion at large, timelines that are realistic, and process structure. Requests the Faculty Council focus on the process issues this year.

5.     Reports of Standing Committees

5.1.     Faculty, Staff, Student Concerns  (Marsha Modeste) – no report

5.2.     Curricular Affairs  (Carla Zembal-Saul)

5.2.1.     New curriculum system coming – January 1. CoE assigned to pilot it.

5.2.2.     Discussion on pre-requisites. All pre-reqs need to be resolved by December. Go to bulletin to make sure no roadblocks to students taking the courses, make sure the prereqs are still valid.

5.2.3.     Four proposals were discussed. The Social Justice minor looks like it will move forward.

5.2.4.     Points of discussion: putting forth course proposal – think about GenEd designation; proposed curricular changes must align with the college mission; prereqs for 400 level can be semester standing. Request to Share templates and guidelines for course proposals across departments at the director level. There are resources available to help with this process.

5.2.5.     Announcement on course on excellence on academic advising.

5.2.6.     Directors met with Rayne about handling difficult discussions in classrooms.

5.3.     Graduate Studies and Research Policy (Barbara Schaefer)

5.3.1.     Reviewed Dissertation Research Initiation Grants: 10 received, 5 funded.

5.4.     Technology (Hyung Joon Yoon)

5.4.1.     Roundtable series on Microsoft Teams held today.

5.4.2.      Sent request to student body for applications for committee membership. Seven applications of interest received. Five asked to join as non-voting members.

5.4.3.     Student said it is not aligned with the FC standing committee membership.

5.4.4.     There will be a Vosaic demonstration on October 28. It will also be available soon. Much like V-Note.

5.4.5.     Innovative Technologies for Research is the next roundtable series for November.

 6.     Reports of Special and Ad-Hoc Commitees

7.     News from the University Graduate Council 

8.     News from the Faculty Senate (Julia Bryan) – no report

9.     Unfinished Legislative Business

10.  New Legislative Business

11.  Forensic Business

11.1.    Revisit Dean Lawless’ charge to Faculty Council

11.1.1.     Dean wants FC to take on the processes of P&T and timelines. Processes to review: Dossier preparation, timelines, peer observations, identifying external reviewers. Create some models to take to the departments for discussion.

11.2.     Peer observations of teaching

11.2.1.    FC representatives split out by department to list how their department handles peer observations.

11.2.2.    Questions Asked:  1) How often are they conducted? Junior and Tenured Faculty; 2) What is the process for requesting observers; 3) What is the process of observation (e.g., pre-meeting? What happens during observation? Post meeting?); 4) Does the instructor receive a copy of the letter?; 5) Is the process formative or evaluative?

11.2.3.  Discussion ensued on the differences and how to move forward.

  1. 12.  Comments and recommendations for the good of the College

 

Meeting adjourned 4:40 pm

 

Next Faculty Council Meeting:

November 21, 2019, 2:30-4:30 PM, 228 Chambers