Dr. ChanMin Kim is an Associate Professor of Learning, Design, and Technology and Educational Psychology at Penn State. She researches various designs for improving equity through education. For example, one of her current projects applies culturally responsive pedagogy and epistemological pluralism in designs for learning with robots.
Dr. Kim has recently completed a US Department of Justice funded research project for social justice among immigrant women and children. This research was designed to improve equity in safety and well-being through community engaged learning of domestic violence prevention. Culturally sustaining design was applied to gamified simulations for such community engagement and learning.
For equitable STEM education, Dr. Kim has conducted extensive research on teacher learning of transformative curricula and pedagogy through such funded projects as:
- National Science Foundation STEM + Computing Partnerships
- National Science Foundation Improving Undergraduate STEM Education
- National Science Foundation Discovery Research PreK-12
- US Department of Education Comprehensive School Reform Quality Initiatives
- US Department of Agriculture Professional Development for Secondary School Teachers and Educational Professionals
She has published her research in such high impact journals as Teaching and Teacher Education, AERA Open, Instructional Science, Computers & Education, Educational Psychologist, Contemporary Educational Psychology, and Distance Education.
Dr. Kim strives to promote equity-minded research and education through her research and teaching. She works with a local school district’s equity and inclusivity office to improve STEM education for all.
Dr. Kim is a former special education teacher. While working as a special education teacher in elementary schools, she programmed digital games for her students with a wide spectrum of special needs to learn mathematics and won two national awards.
Dr. Kim has taught the following courses:
- EDPSY 10 Individual Differences in Education
- LDT 100 World Technologies and Learning
- LDT 549 Current Topics in Emerging Technologies: Multimodal Ways of Design to Address Equity in and Enhance Learning
- LDT/EDTEC 561 Measuring the Impact of Technology on Learning
- LDT 594 Research Apprenticeship: Playful Coding
- LDT 832 Designing e-Learning within Course Management Systems