Admissions FAQ

What tests are required for application to a degree program in Learning, Design, and Technology?

In your application materials, please include the following test scores:
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test scores for doctoral applicants, or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores or GRE scores for master's applicants. International applicants must also present official scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of 550 or better (paper test), a score of 213 (computer-based test), a total score of 80 with a 19 on the speaking section (internet-based test), or a minimum composite score of 6.5 on the IELTS.

Please consult the ETS website for detailed information regarding the tests.

Is an education background required for admission to the Learning, Design, and Technology?

The Learning, Design, and Technology Program does NOT require an education background. LDT faculty and students have a variety of educational backgrounds, working experiences, and research interests, and we value whatever background you might bring to LDT. If you feel the lack of relevant background, you may want to consult Reigeluth's book on Instructional-Design Theories and Models and journals such as Educational Technology Research and Development (ETR&D), Instructional Science, and Educational Technology.

Is financial aid available for graduate students in Learning, Design, and Technology?

Learning, Design, and Technology students are normally granted a few graduate assistantships. In addition, there are numerous assistantships around campus in the Center of Academic Computing and other programs. Additionally, the faculty is constantly seeking grants and contracts that will fund graduate assistantships. If you seek an assistantship, then ask the admissions coordinator for an Application for Graduate Assistantship, or download it and print it, complete it, and return it to the admissions coordinator.

Information on students aid and loan is available at:
314 Shields Building, University Park, PA, 16802
Phone: 814-865-6301.

How many credits can I take before being officially admitted to the program as a degree student?

According to Penn State’s Graduate School, you may take courses as a non-degree student before being admitted to a degree program. Changing from graduate non-degree status to regular status requires a new admission application. If you choose to enter Penn State as a graduate non-degree student, you must realize that no more than 15 credits of course work accumulated in non-degree status can count toward a graduate degree. However, admission as a non-degree student neither guarantees nor implies subsequent admission to a degree program. You should also be aware that non-degree students are not eligible to receive fellowships or graduate assistantships and preference for courses is given to degree students. Programs control access to some courses.