If you are in immediate danger or need emergency services, call 911 (or 814-863-1111 on the University Park campus) or go to the nearest police station or hospital emergency room.

The College of Education and the University offer numerous resources to students, faculty and staff who are in need of assistance for a wide variety of reasons. This page includes contact information for people, centers and offices available to help.

Where to go for assistance

  • College of Education's Office of Education and Social Equity (María Schmidt)
    • The Office of Education and Social Equity supports students to establish healthy connections within the academic community through resource navigation, providing study space, offering multicultural programming, and student advising.
  • Academic Integrity Committee (Rayne Sperling)
    • The Academic Integrity Committee addresses unresolved cases of academic dishonesty.
  • Report Bias website (Office of Educational Equity)
    • The Report Bias website provides students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests with a Penn State User ID with a Web form for reporting acts of hate or intolerance that occur at Penn State. The Office of Educational Equity serves as a catalyst and advocate for Penn State's diversity and inclusion initiatives.
  • Penn State Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
    • The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access is a service organization that supports and enhances the University's commitment to diversity, providing expert advice and leadership to colleges, departments, faculty and staff in their efforts to recruit and retain a diverse workforce and ensure an environment free from discrimination and harassment.
  • University Health Services
    • 24/7 Advice Nurse: 814-863-4463
    • Appointments: 814-863-0774
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) – 814-863-0395
    • CAPS provides group therapy, individual counseling, crisis intervention and psychiatric services, along with prevention, outreach and consultation services for the University community. Services are designed to enhance students' ability to fully benefit from the University environment and academic experience.
  • Gender Equity Center– 814-863-2027
    • The center provides free and confidential counseling and advocacy to all students impacted by sexual violence, relationship violence, stalking, body image concerns, and more, as well as educational programming throughout the year from classroom and group presentations to noteworthy speakers.
  • Centre Safe – 814-234-5050; 877-234-5050 (24-hour hotline)
    • The center provides services for women, men and children who have experienced dating and domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking.
  • Penn State Police
    • Victim Services
      • Any Penn State student, employee, or visitor who has been the victim of, or witness to, a crime is eligible for victim services.
    • Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Hotline
      • A new hotline has been established for victims and observers of sexual assault and relationship violence. Trained counselors on the hotline will help students access appropriate resources. Penn State students from any campus can call 1-800-560-1637 (TTY 866-714-7177) to access the 24 hour a day, seven day a week hotline.
  • Student Misconduct Complaints
    • Office of Student Conduct – 814-863-0342
      • The goal of the Office of Student Conduct is to create a community in which students’ actions validate the essential values of Penn State.


There are several offices in the College and in the larger University where assistance can be sought if a problem surfaces in a class or in the pursuit of a degree or certificate.  As a general rule, it is best to start at the unit closest to where the difficulty is arising.  If for some reason this is not possible or practical or if this has been tried without success, there are additional avenues that can be pursued, and these are listed below:

  • Course Instructor
  • Program Coordinator or Major Coordinator (check the web page for your undergraduate major or graduate program for the identity of this person)
  • Director of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies (check the web page for your Department for the identity of this person)
  • Department Head (check the web page for your Department for the identity of this person)
  • Associate Dean for Undergraduate and Graduate Studies -- Dr. Rayne Sperling
  • For Undergraduate Studies: Associate Vice President and Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education -- Dr. Jeff Adams
  • For Graduate Studies: Assistant Dean of the Graduate School – Dr. Stephanie Preston
  • Global Penn State
    • The Directorate of International Student and Scholar Advising, which is the authorized representative for Penn State international students and scholars with the Departments of State and Homeland Security, is committed to providing international students and scholars the highest level of expertise in advising, immigration services, and training in support of Penn State's teaching, research and outreach objectives.
  • University Health Services
    • There are many health care resources available in the State College area for international students and their families. Several are listed on this website.

The Office of Student Affairs lists numerous resources for students on its website.