World Languages Education, B.S. (K-12)

The World Languages Education major (WL ED) prepares students for teaching in all grades from K through 12. WL ED students typically complete general education courses and courses in their language of specialization during their first two years in university and complete a semester abroad experience during their third year. The fourth year in the program brings an increased focus on practical experiences in local schools, culminating in a supervised semester-long student teaching. 

Common language specializations (and their accompanying sample semester plans) include: 

In addition, students in the WL ED major complete courses toward a certificate for teaching learners of English as a Second Language. Completion of the WL ED major fulfills all requirements for the Instructional I Certificate K - 12 in the language specialization as set forth by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.  

This program undergoes accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) with a Specialized Professional Association (SPA) review conducted by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. 

Apply Now

The World Languages Education program is a four-year undergraduate degree that requires from 133 to 136 credits, depending on which language option you choose, and leads to a bachelor of science (B.S.) in World Languages.


During their fourth semester, students usually take their first WL ED course (WL ED 300 or 400), which provides a foundational experience that includes introduction of important theoretical concepts and principles that will inform the rest of their time in the program.

During their final year in the program, students are placed in a middle or high school setting for a supervised field experience as well as student teaching. Placements are determined through the College's Curriculum and Instruction Field Experiences (CIFE) Office, and the field experience begins early in the fall. All placements for World Languages students are “linked” in that they transition to student teaching in the same placement during the spring semester. In this way, students gain nearly a year of experience teaching in a school setting and working closely alongside a mentor teacher and a university supervisor.

A central focus of their work in schools during their final year in the program is inquiry into teaching and learning. Through consultation with program faculty, their mentor teacher, and university supervisor, students conduct an inquiry project for which they identify a question or issue in their teaching practice that they wish to explore, collect and analyze data, and report their findings at a professional teacher inquiry conference organized near the end of the year.


Students can also choose a short-term student teaching abroad opportunity where student teachers complete 12 weeks of full-time teaching in Pennsylvania, followed by 5 to 7 weeks student teaching at an international site.


Students may also work with the CIFE in order to be placed with mentor teachers in participating school districts throughout Pennsylvania and South Dakota.


Upon successful completion of all requirements for graduation, students receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. For teacher certification, students must also meet all clearance and testing requirements specified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. In cooperation with colleagues in the various language departments in the College of Liberal Arts, we are also pleased to offer the possibility of a concurrent major with French, German, and Spanish. This allows students to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A. degree) in their language of specialization as well as their B.S. degree by usually taking only a few additional credits.

Additional Certification

An increasing number of our students also choose to complete the requirements of the ESL certification program to gain the additional credential from the PA Department of Education to allow them to work as a specialist with English language learners.

Many US states and territories require professional licensure/certification to be employed. If you plan to pursue employment in a licensed profession after completing this program, please visit the Professional Licensure/Certification Disclosures by State interactive map.